Workshop on Organic Farming at FIIB Campus
Fortune Institute of International Business (FIIB) Delhi hosted an interactive workshop on 27th July 2014 titled
“Grow Organic Vegetables @ Home” which was organized by Sajeev Fresh. Sajeev Fresh provides professional planning and design services as well as
implementation and management of farms and gardens. The college community got an exclusive opportunity to learn simple, stress free and organic ways of
growing fresh vegetables and herbs while turning backyard or terrace into a garden of organic bounty.
July 27, 2014
Workshop started at the college, with discussing reasons on the need and importance of growing organic vegetables. “Over 80000 chemicals used in the vegetables we eat have never been tested for efficacy and safety.” said Mr Kapil Mandawawela, Founder of Sajeev Fresh. Mr. Kapil Mandawawela explained how organic farming is the only solution to the growing concern of chemicals and shared few benefits of Organic Farming:
- Better Nutrition: Organic food is richer in nutrients, as organic farming enhances the nutrients of the soil which is passed on to the plants and animals.
- Free of Poison: Organic farming does not use poisonous chemicals, pesticides and weedicides.
- Enhanced Taste: Organic food often tastes better than other food. The sugar content in organically grown fruits and vegetables provides them with extra taste.
- Longer Shelf–Life: Organic plants have greater metabolic and structural integrity, which enables storage of organic food for a longer time
In addition, organic farming reduces food expenditure and one can practice this as hobby as well.
How to grow your own food?
With lack of enough space for organic farming a major obstacle, Mr. Mandawewala shared few interesting ideas on how one can turn the backyards, terrace, balconies or windows into beautiful and vegetable breeding place.
Some important guidelines were given on different methods and techniques to be considered before starting the organic farming. Following are the important points to be noted:
- Preparing the Soil- Good healthy soil helps build strong, productive plants.
- Choose right plants and Crop Rotation- It is important to choose plants that are well adjusted to each spot, in terms of light, moisture, drainage and soil quality. In addition, rotating of crops is equally important as this balances the nutrient level in the soil.
- Plant Crops in Wide Boxes- Plants that we will be harvesting should be grouped tightly in boxes, as it reduces weeding and water waste. Ample space between rows helps promote air circulation, which repels fungal attacks.
- Timely Irrigation- Just remember to water your plants every day in evening.
- Stay away from Toxic Pesticides- We can use buttermilk and red chilly powder as power pesticides.
- Timely Harvesting- Timely harvesting ensures more crops.
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Life at FIIB: A Student's Perspective
CONNECT WITH FIIB
AuditoriumFIIB’s state-of-the-art auditorium can seat over 150 individuals and has provisions for video conferencing along with other ultra-modern technologies. Students also enjoy the provision of multiple conference and seminar halls if required.
CafeteriaA fully functional cafeteria serves sumptuous meals and beverages all through the day for the students to refresh and revive. Students not only enjoy the meals here but sometimes unwind sitting in the area over a cup of coffee.
ClassroomsThe state of the art classrooms at the Institute enhance the learning experience of students as they are equipped with the latest equipment including projectors, screens, options for video conferencing etc.
Electronic Resource CentreThe campus hosts a state-of-the-art computer lab housing over 180 terminals and 200 laptops. The campus is Wi-Fi enabled. Online Learning and Teaching Software is also provided for flexibility and access to learning material at all times.
Indoor GamesThe recreational centre has arrangements for several indoor sports like pool, table tennis, carom and chess. These may be accessed by students during their breaks and can be used as effective recreational tools to relax.
Knowledge Resource CentreStudents can access a fully computerized and air-conditioned library housing over 15,000 books, 195 periodicals/journals, 750 audio-visual and multimedia. The Library subscribes to major online research and informational databases.
Outdoor GamesThe Campus also has provisions badminton, volleyball and a number of outdoor games and activities
Recreational CentreThe recreational centre of FIIB provides its students space and opportunity to indulge in activities like indoor games and relax. The Centre is outfitted with television, student lockers and various indoor sports like pool table, table tennis, carom and chess.